Our CJ Nelson and Harley Ingleby surfboards are unique in Europe and made in China by some of the best craftsmen on this planet. Thunderbolt Technology utilizes advanced materials and technology to decrease weight while enhancing performance, flex characteristics, board control, and durability.
Each EPS fused cell blank is built utilizing materials and construction methods that deliver precision and consistency board after board. The proprietary multi-component fiberglass stringer system is added to the hand-tuned EPS core to provide longitudinal strength with controlled flex in the nose and twist in the tail.
The EPS blank with stringer system is reinforced with hand laminated fiberglass, which is then encased and bonded to a high-density foam shell using epoxy resin to form the completed blank. This blank is then cured in a precision mold that locks in the same rocker and rail profile for every board – the only way to make every board a magic board.
Our blanks have more materials and labor than many finished surfboards, but this is just the beginning for us. Once completed, our blanks are then hand laminated using combinations of fiberglass and XEON Fiberglass, or Carbon Fiber to yield the finest epoxy constructions in the world.
Hand finished in China
Thunderbolt boards are 100% hand layups. They begin in the catory with an EPS foam core with multi-component carbon fiber stringer systems that produce engineered flex and twist for a more lively, responsive performance. Proprietary designs employing internal carbon fiber components are then arrayed in the deck and bottom of the deck for precise flex control and strength.
The core shield PVC provides flexible protection to increase strength and durability without compromising the flex and twist characteristics built into the blank. With ample carbon fiber and fiberglass in the deck, bottom, and rails, these boards both outperform and outlast traditional PU boards and other epoxy designs.
Carbon Fiber (Thunderbolt Black)
- Japanese manufactured carbon fiber. The best quality in the world
- Flex characteristics….slow flex and fast rebound. Super responsive and snappy due to quick rebound rate. Ultra performance.
- Our lightest material with the best strength to weight ratio.
Carbon Fiber/ INEGRA (Thunderbolt Black)
- This is a 50/50 blend of top quality Japanese carbon fiber and INEGRA, a bright white ballistic fiber.
- Flex characteristics….great blend of that traditional feel that we all love and the dynamic rebound carbon fiber has. Amazing flow and rhythm.
- A beautiful blend of both new and old.
Xeon Fiberglass (Thunderbolt Red)
- Blend of traditional fiberglass and opaque pigment to give that classic look.
- Flex characteristics… Most amount of flex out of all of our lamination process. Immediate addiction warning.
- Traditional look with space-age feel.
Texalium (Thunderbolt Silver)
- Magnetized fiberglass infused with aluminum. Gives its dynamic sliver appearance. This is our heaviest lamination material. Mega strong with beautiful aesthetic
- Flex characteristics….Feels like a more alive volan cloth or traditional longboard. Heavier weight with performance values. Rides like a dream.
- Space age look with a traditional feel.
PROPER CARE OF YOUR CJ NELSON or HARLEY INGLEBY SURFBOARD
High quality construction and advanced materials translate to strength and durability that outlast the majority of surfboards you’ll see on the racks. Take proper care of your surfboard to keep it in beautiful condition for even longer. Follow these basic tips.
Stash your surfboard in a bag when you’re in transit. The extra protection of foam and material will prevent dings and damage while packing your car or carrying your board down the stairwell.
Always keep your board out of the sun, and do not keep it enclosed in your car. On hot days temperatures inside your car can exceed 150F, 65C degrees, which can damage any EPS core board. This is particularly important with boards that are darker in color which can absorb heat quickly when left in the sun to bake. Keep in mind that a cover will not do anything to keep it cool if still put in direct sunlight or an enclosed space.
Keep it clean. Rinse off the sand and salt before putting your board in the bag. This will help keep sand and debris out of your board bag and reduce the risk of scratching that beautiful finish.
REPAIRING YOUR CJ NELSON or HARLEY INGLEBY SURFBOARD
Life has its ups and downs, and it seems inevitable that all surfboards eventually get dinged and need repair. If you ding your CJ Nelson surfboard it’s no problem. Our boards repair using the same basic methods as any epoxy board, and that includes models with carbon fiber. Here are the basics:
If you ding your board in the water, get out and avoid extended exposure to water. All foam boards will absorb some water once dinged, and you should try to minimize this.
Let you board dry out if you have taken on some water, so that you don’t trap water inside your repair, and so that the resins used in the repair don’t react with the water.
USE ONLY EPOXY RESINS IN YOUR REPAIRS! Polyester resin chemistry reacts very strongly with epoxy /EPS chemistry and can severely damage your surfboard if you use polyester resin.
Use regular fiberglass cloth in your repairs, even if going over carbon fiber. Let the resin cure completely, sand and polish, and you’re good to go. Better yet, take your board to a professional ding repair shop to make sure repairs are done properly and your surfboard is returned to as close to new condition as possible.